Welcome to my blog! You can start by getting to know a bit more About me or for a more detailed explanation of how I was diagnosed, have a read of my posts The Journey to Cushing's Syndrome and Part II the saga continues. Bienvenue sur mon blog! Vous pouvez commencez par decouvrir Mon Histoire avec Cushing's

Sunday 6 January 2013

2012, a retrospective

Well here we are, the end of the first week of 2013 and a good time to look back on all that's happened in 2012. But let me start off by informing you all that I received my letter from the NHS and will be admitted to hospital on the 24th of January. I'm guessing that means my surgery will be happening on the 25th. I'm actually quite impressed by how quickly I got a date as I was expecting it more to be around early February. So my mum flew back to Hong Kong with my dad yesterday and she will be returning around the 23rd so as to spend time with me whilst I'm at the hospital and during my recovery. Last time she stayed around 6 weeks and I can honestly say it was a blessing having her around. 

But looking back on 2012, I can't believe how much happened. What a roller coaster year!! So many ups and downs, and huge changes in my life and the life of those around me. I think the best way to cover it all is probably just to go through the year chronologically.

2012 didn't start great as it was that January that my endocrinologist confirmed my Cushing's recurrence. I had asked her to check whether I could lower my cortisol replacement dose and it turns out I was getting high readings again. Needless to say, spending the first few weeks giving blood and urine samples and being told your illness is back wasn't a great boost. But I returned to Hong Kong none the less to carry on with the Masters I was doing at HKU. (I had only returned to London for a holiday and to see my endo)

I got on with my studies and tried not to let my recurrence worry me but obviously I also had to figure out a way to deal with the situation and try to arrange for medical care in Hong Kong. Luckily we have a family friend who is a doctor and I suffer from a rare disease so I managed to get a referral fairly quickly at the local hospital's neurosurgery and endocrinology departments. However, nothing is ever really that quick in the public health system and appointments, blood tests, waiting for results, drug tests, etc... all these things take time.

On the plus side, I had gotten together with a musician a few months before who was really eager to showcase my singing and by March/April/May, I was doing a couple of gigs. One of my high points of 2012 was doing nearly a full gig (11 songs) in a jam packed jazz club. What a great feeling to have so many people there, listening to me and supporting me!

Towards the end of the school year (June), I was pleased that my studies were going well and I was on track for a Distinction, however knowing that I was suffering from a recurrence, I had to make some tough decisions. Although I had only planned for a year's Masters in HK, I was hoping that after graduating I would stay there a bit longer, maybe try and find some work but it just didn't seem feasible any more. Sure I could be treated for my Cushing's in Hong Kong but I just didn't feel comfortable. The idea of recovering in a hospital surrounded by people who speak a different language to me and where my friends and family could only visit for 2hrs during the evening just didn't appeal. I wanted to be back in the familiarity of my London hospitals. However much I complain about the NHS and some of the mishaps that have happened during my treatments, I still trust the system and overall feel my experience has been pretty good.

So I started applying for Doctoral programs knowing full well that I had already missed many deadlines and probably did not stand much of a chance of being accepted. But you never get anything without trying and by the grace of God I was accepted onto the New School of Psychotherapy and Counselling's Professional Doctorate program in Counselling Psychology and Psychotherapy. So I left HK knowing that although the next few months ahead would be difficult, at least I could be proud and have something to look forward to.

That summer was a wonderful and eventful one. I got to spend time with all of my family including my new nephew who was born in March. In September, my best friend and a close friend of mine both got married. I had the honour and privilege to attend both weddings and had such a great time!
The second wedding was in the USA and this meant I was also able to visit with my sister who'd just moved to Chicago that July and to finally meet some of the wonderful women I'd gotten to know online through my Facebook Cushing's groups.

October and November just flew by with the beginning of my studies, getting settled back in London, testing for my Cushing's, adopting Pepper, etc... No need to elaborate too much on this since I've been posting about what's been happening and these would have been recent posts.

The last low point of 2012 was the death of my paternal grandfather. Although he had been disabled for a long time and was in a frail state, it is always sad to lose someone you love. 

So here's to 2013!!! I begin by completing an intensive module for my course, 2 projects for the charity I work for, and having my 2nd pituitary surgery. I'm not setting myself any resolutions because I stopped doing that years ago. I just find the notion preposterous as it shouldn't take a new calendar year for you to motivate yourself to do things with your life. I know how precious and wonderful life is and I try to embrace it every day that God grants me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment