Welcome to my blog! You can start by getting to know a bit more About me or for a more detailed explanation of how I was diagnosed, have a read of my posts The Journey to Cushing's Syndrome and Part II the saga continues. Bienvenue sur mon blog! Vous pouvez commencez par decouvrir Mon Histoire avec Cushing's

Sunday 19 May 2013

Embrace the highs and push through the lows

So it's been a pretty tough week with a follow-up appointment on Tuesday where I found out I had to have all my pituitary removed, but today has been a good day so I decided it would be a good day to post.
I often find that if I try to blog when I'm feeling down, all that comes out is sadness and venting. I don't like to put too much negativity on my site. Not to say that Cushing's isn't a bitch to deal with and the reality is that there's a lot of negativity involved. But I think that the other Cushies out there who might read this have enough pain and suffering in their lives that they don't need to hear all the doom and gloom in mine too.
I think it's important that when I feel good, I share my positivity and good mood with others. After all, they say laughter is contagious so maybe I can send my good vibes out too!?

Today I was up at 7 before my dog and took her out for a lovely little walk bathed in sunshine. The day started off good as I woke up feeling in good spirits (which isn't always the case). I then had a good appetite for breakfast so took the opportunity to eat a hearty one since I never know when I'll be hungry again! (On a positive note, I've lost 10kgs since my surgery).

Then I went to Westfield for a bit of shopping and to my surprise I managed to buy a few tops in a size smaller than I've been wearing for the last year or so. And I have to say, I looked pretty good in a few things I tried on. I also found myself a cute pair of wedges so it was a win-win.

But the highlight of my day was visiting my cushie friend in the hospital. We have been in touch several times on Facebook but I met her for the first time this week. She had her first pituitary surgery on Monday and I saw her Tuesday before my appointment next door. I popped in to hang out with her for a few hours this afternoon and it was such a pleasure spending time with her.
Talking to her, sharing our experiences with each other and realising how much we had in common was so heart warming. It reminded me again that there are positives to this experience. It has allowed me to meet some really interesting and wonderful people. Every single person I have met is special and beautiful in their own way. I feel so privileged to have them in my life and so thankful too as they help me push through the tough times. 

I am reminded that others can benefit and learn from our experiences and that we too can learn from others, even those who have been through (less) than us. I put less in parentheses because I don't think you can measure the severity of one's situation by simply adding up the totals. It's not just a case of: Well I've had 3 surgeries you've only had 1. I've had this for 10 years, you're only starting.... We all experience things in different ways and it's our idiosyncratic internalisation of theses events that makes us unique and mean that we all have something worthwhile to share.

So let's embrace our highs and push through our lows together. I've always said this cushie journey is like a roller-coaster but I remember there was a time when I used to enjoy riding them. So I'm trying to embrace the roller-coaster of my life the same way I embrace theme park rides. They're exciting, scary and downright nauseating at times, but at the end you feel exhilarated and ALIVE!


1 comment:

  1. Chère Stéphanie
    je pense très souvent et très fort à toi et espère de tout coeur que tu vas gagner ce combat
    Tu es un exemple de courage

    je t'embrasse affectueusement
    Elisabeth Mordret

    ReplyDelete