Welcome to my blog! You can start by getting to know a bit more About me or for a more detailed explanation of how I was diagnosed, have a read of my posts The Journey to Cushing's Syndrome and Part II the saga continues. Bienvenue sur mon blog! Vous pouvez commencez par decouvrir Mon Histoire avec Cushing's

Saturday 21 April 2012

Day 21: Here we go again



Here we go again


So I finally heard back from my endo yesterday. I had emailed her back in February when I received the letter about my test results and it appears she refuses to reply by email opting for the ever so slow snail mail option!
Anyway, she confirmed that the 2 x 24hr UFC tests I did back in January showed elevated levels of cortisol (no idea what happened to my 3rd pee jug!? Sometimes I don't know why I bother...) and that I failed to suppress in the low dose dexamethasone test. For those who don't speak Cushie test lingo, UFC stands for Urinary Free Cortisol and is one of the standard tests for Cushing's. The lab tests the amount of cortisol present in 24hours worth of urine because your levels rise and fall naturally during the day. By calculating the average concentration, the lab is able to determine whether the result is low, normal or high. In my case, the results were apparently higher than normal. I also did an overnight dexamethasone suppression test which is basically a way to measure your adrenal glands response. When you are administered a dose of dexamethasone, your body should suppress its production of cortisol in response, however this is not the case if you have Cushing's. For more information about testing for Cushing's (or any other Cushing's related info for that matter) please visit the following website which is packed full of useful information: www.cushings-help.com

I know the drill, I've been through all these tests before. I know that the next logical step is a high dose dexamethasone suppression test to determine whether the source of my excess cortisol is indeed the pituitary gland. There are other possible sources of Cushing's such as a tumour on the adrenal glands or somewhere else. I will also probably have to have another MRI though I had one not long ago in HK and I am seeing a neurosurgeon about the results at the end of the month.

I am in a tough spot right now because I obviously need to tend to my health but there isn't much I can do here in HK. I have that appointment on the 30th and I also have an endo appointment in June but to be honest there isn't much point in getting anything started here now since I've decided I will be moving back to London. I am seeing my endo in London on the 17th of July and that will probably be when things really get moving.

In the meantime, I have to try and stay focused on the tasks at hand which are finishing my masters, applying to the DPsych (Professional doctorate in counselling psychology) and planning my summer holidays. I'm trying hard to stay positive though I have to be honest, sometimes it's tough and I really feel on the verge of a breakdown... I'm just grateful to have my parents so close as they help me deal and keep me sane. I just wish I had more of my friends around for support although I appreciate the virtual and long-distance support I receive.

No comments:

Post a Comment