Welcome to my blog! You can start by getting to know a bit more About me or for a more detailed explanation of how I was diagnosed, have a read of my posts The Journey to Cushing's Syndrome and Part II the saga continues. Bienvenue sur mon blog! Vous pouvez commencez par decouvrir Mon Histoire avec Cushing's

Sunday 22 April 2012

Day 22: But who's keeping score?


But who's keeping score?


One of the suggested topic from the Cushing's website is to write about what we've gone through to try to be cured. I am not going to write about my long journey to a diagnosis again which you can read by clicking HERE if you want, however I will summarise all of the tests and interventions I've had so far (and that I can remember).

2009:

  • 2 x "regular" blood draws to check cortisol levels
  • 2 x 24hr Urinary Free Cortisol collection (collect all urine being passed for 24hrs)
  • Low dose Dexamethasone suppression test (take dexamethasone doses and then have blood drawn at 8am)
  • *edit* I forgot to mention that I also had a CT done of my kidneys
2010:
  • High dose Dexamethasone suppression test (take dexamethasone doses and have blood drawn every morning at 8am over 2 days)
  • 3 x MRIs, two without contrast and one with contrast (meaning having dye injected into the veins)
  • 2 x 8am fasting glucose blood tests 
  • 8 (maybe more) blood draws to check cortisol and other hormone levels
  • Transphenoidal surgery (to remove the tumour)
2011:
  • Low dose Dexamethasone suppression test
  • 3 x 24hr UFC (urine collection)
  • Bone density scan
  • 1 blood draw to check baseline hormone levels
2012 (so far):
  • 1 x 8am fasting blood glucose and cortisol level check
  • 3 x 24hr UFC (urine collection)
  • Low dose dexamethasone suppression test
  • 1 x MRI
All I can say is WOW!!!! And considering I started testing in September 2009 and we're only in April 2012, I can't even imagine the countless amounts of interventions those who are testing for several years go through. I'd also like to point out that I have not included in this list all of the blood tests I did before when they suspected everything from PCOS to Thyroid issues.
No wonder I hate needles now and when I get to the blood draw clinic, if I see the nurse wearing a TRAINEE badge, I ask to change. Let someone else be a pin cushion for once...

Tomorrow's post: MEDS!

No comments:

Post a Comment