Welcome to my blog! You can start by getting to know a bit more About me or for a more detailed explanation of how I was diagnosed, have a read of my posts The Journey to Cushing's Syndrome and Part II the saga continues. Bienvenue sur mon blog! Vous pouvez commencez par decouvrir Mon Histoire avec Cushing's

Tuesday 24 April 2012

Day 24: BLA is not a qualification



BLA is not a qualification


In one of my Cushing's groups, a newbie was inquiring about what AI was. One of the group members humourously replied that it could stand for Artificial Insemination, Artificial Intelligence or in the Cushie context, Adrenal Insufficiency. Makes you realise context is everything.

After a quick search on Wikipedia, it turns out BLA could stand for:
  • Baluchistan Liberation Army
  • Bavarian Liberation Army
  • Black Liberation Army
  • or Bachelor of Liberal Arts
However, the BLA I'm referring to isn't a qualification or an army for that matter. No, I'm talking about Bilateral Adrenalectomy which is surgery to remove both adrenal glands. As I mentioned in a previous post, there is a chance I may be suffering from recurrence. I have had a few high cortisol levels which may indicate my Cushing's is back. Although this is obviously not great news, it kind of answers some questions as to why I wasn't losing any weight, my fitness level was decreasing even when I tried to exercise more and I was having some mild mood swings.

If I am suffering from recurrence there are a few options for me. Depending on what is causing it this time around I have several treatment options: undergo another transphenoidal surgery (neurosurgery to remove a tumour on the pituitary gland), a Bilateral Adrenalectomy (removing both adrenal glands), Radiation or Chemotherapy. Unfortunately medical therapy is not really a viable option with Cushing's as it does not offer a long term solution.

Over the next few days, I will go through the pros and cons of each option and explain the procedures in a bit more detail. Though these may not be necessary for me in the end as I'm not even sure I really have a recurrence, I think it is a good idea to educate people on treatment options. I hope you will find the information interesting and that it will help you realise how serious Cushing's and its treatment is.

No comments:

Post a Comment